Pinewood Derby Rules
The Pack 147 Pinewood Derby follows the rules that will be used at the Wotamalo District Pinewood Derby,. The 2016 rules haven’t been released yet, but the 2015 rules are available at http://goo.gl/b5LATc. The fastest four cars in each den win trophies and advance to our pack-level race of champions. They also can advance to the district derby. In addition to the fastest car competition, the scouts will cast votes for the cars with the Best Workmanship and Most Unusual Design. In summary we will be using the following basic rules. If this summary conflicts with the Womalo rules, the Wotamalo rules
- All cars must be built from a Official Grand Prix Pinewood Derby Kit. The car must be considered “new work,” meaning construction of the car must not have begun prior to the date of the previous District Derby.
- No cars purchased from Ebay, etc. will be allowed. These designs are well-known and typically recognizable.
- Only the Cub Scout can enter and handle his car on race day.
- The Cub Scout can only enter 1 car on race day but will be allowed to race as many cars as he likes on Trial Run day.
- Car can weigh no more than 5 ounces total, based on the official scale at inspection on race day. Be prepared to modify your car at inspection if overweight,
- The car must roll on wheels and axles from the kit received this year. The exception is that you may use replacement wheels and axles purchased from the Scout Shop and must be Official Boy Scout issued tires and axles. You cannot use axles and wheels from past cars. No washers, bearings, etc. allowed.
- The car overall specifications must not exceed 7 inches in length, 2 3/4 inches in width, 3 inches in height, underside clearance must be at least 3/8 inches, and the inside wheel to wheel clearance must be at least 1 3/4 inches.
- Weight may be attached to the car and is considered in the overall dimensions of the car. All weights must be permanently fixed to the car and immovable.
- Cars must be solely gravity powered.
- The entire car must be staged behind the starter pin.
- Only dry lubricants (e.g. graphite) are allowed.
- The body must have no moving parts other than the wheels.
Open Class Race
To give the families in our pack a challenge and creative outlet, we are holding an “open class” race this year. This race will be held for bragging rights, during intermission on race day. Any pack family member 6th grade and older (no cub scouts) is eligible. The rules for the unlimited class are as follows:
- Nothing that could hurt a person or damage the track is allowed.
- The total width of the car shall not exceed 2 ¾” inches.
- The distance between the inside of the wheels shall be 1 ¾”.
- The total length of the car shall not exceed 7”.
- There are no weight limitations.
- The distance from the ground to the bottom of the vehicle shall be 3/8” minimum.
- From bottom of wheel to top of car maximum height should not exceed 5 inches.
- No human physical contact with the cars while they are on the track. Opening the starting gate alone must launch the car.
- No open flames
- No wet lubricants